2015 PMI Charleston Scholarship Program
To provide financial assistance and recognition to qualified students in accredited programs in project management, management programs with a project management focus, or technology programs with a project management focus.
Program Structure, Eligibility and Award Criteria:
Two one-thousand dollar ($1000) scholarships will be offered to two students in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Scholarships will be offered to students in the following types of programs:
- Project management programs
- Business management programs with a focus in project management
- Management science programs with a focus in project management
- Other types of degree programs which emphasize project management
- Participation is open to degree-seeking students who are currently enrolled in a degree program at an accredited college or university that has physical classrooms in the tri-county area (Charleston, Berkeley, or Dorchester).
- The student must have declared their major in the academic program.
- The student must be enrolled in a program that includes face-to-face instruction. Programs that consist of only distance learning or online instruction are not eligible for these scholarships.
- The project management component fo the academic program must be identified by the accredited organization as a major, minor, or focus area of the program demonstrated through emphasis in the curriculum or core requirements. Demonstration may include didactic methods or hands-on seminars to deliver project management knowledge. Academic programs that require the practice of sound project management techniques on projects, whether real, case studies, or academic training exercises, are preferred.
- The project management component of the academic program must align with the current version of the PMI Project Management Body of Knowledge.
- Eligibility for scholarship award will be based upon the following criteria:
- Individual submission of scholarship application
- Two letters of recommendations accompany the application. These should be from individuals that are familiar with the students work such as a work supervisor, internship preceptor, or college faculty member. No more than one may be from a college faculty member.
- A short, personal essay (up to 2000 words) written by the student that addresses:
- why project management is important in the student's industry or desired industry,
- how this academic program has helped the student learn more about project management,
- why the student has chosen this field of study, and
- discussion of a major issue facing the student's current or desired industry and how project management can address the issue
- Grade point average at or above 3.0. The most recent transcript must be included with the scholarship application. Original, unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Criteria for Evaluation of application and award of scholarship will include, at minimum:
- Meets or exceeds grade point criterion
- Quality of recommendations
- Quality of applicant's essay
- Student's membership in and/or level of involvement with PMI Charleston
|Solicit Sponsorships||March 1 thru April 30|
|Distribute scholarship packets to schools, members||May 1 thru May 31|
|Scholarship applications due (postmarked)||June 30|
|Select award recipients||July 15|
|Present awards||August luncheon|
|Provide scholarship funds to recipients||August luncheon|
Click here for the scholarship application and more information! 2015-PMI-Charleston-Scholarship-Application
2011 PMI Charleston Chapter Scholarship Program
Congratulations to our 2011 PMI Charleston Chapter Scholarship Winners!
Deepthi Meruva & Jason Weaver
Deepthi Meruva and Jason Weaver, Scholarship Winners!
From Left: Dan Furlong, Jason Weaver, scholarship winner, Ingrid Tugwell, PST Sponsor and Pat O'Hearn, PMI Charleston Chapter President
From left: Dan Furlong, Deepthi Meruva, scholarship winner, Ingrid Tugwell, PST Sponsor and Pat O'Hearn, PMI Charleston Chapter President
Thank you to our sponsors!
PM One and PST have been long term partners in providing training and consulting services in the Lowcountry. Now they have joined together to sponsor our first ever PMI Charleston Scholarships
PM One offers PMP, CAPM, and Project Management overview (PM 101) courses that are interactive, engaging, and results oriented! We thank PM One for their ongoing support of PMI Charleston and its members! Please visit them at www.pmone.net to review customer testimonials or to get more information on project management training opportunities!
PST specializes in providing comprehensive training and consulting services. From end-user courses to network administration courses preparing participants for certification, PST offers a large selection of courses tailored to enhance employee performance on the job. PST is affiliated with Microsoft as a Microsoft Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (MCPLS). We also provide industry certification testing as a Prometric and Certiport (Microsoft, Adobe, IC3) testing facility and Computer-Based and Web-Based learning solutions.
PST’s expertise in successful businesses practices is shared through our business skills workshops which can be tailored to meet your organization’s specific requirements.